These gluten free blueberry bagels are SO EASY to bake at home. They don’t require any yeast (hallelujah) and the hardest part is probably mixing the dough because it is THICKITY THICK (I hope that reassures you that the recipe truly is easy). I felt like I had to wrestle the dough a little, but it kinda felt good to win that battle. So I’d recommend it.
Seriously though, I was really pleased by how well these turned out. And as someone who has to eat gluten free, I don’t always get to eat a delicious, warm, homemade bagel. So I enjoy it when I can. These only take about 20 minutes to prepare and 30 minutes to bake. After practicing the recipe a few more times it probably wouldn’t even take 20 minutes, but it took me about that long my first try making these.
These delicious gluten free blueberry bagels are shockingly easy to make at home and don’t require any yeast. They’re a quick and simple recipe that you’ll want to make over and over.
Scroll down for the recipe! First I’m sharing a little about how I discovered it and modified it to make it my own. If you just want to see the recipe, you can find it at the bottom of the page 🙂
This post is all about gluten free blueberry bagels. If you want to watch the video where I make these for the first time, check out my YouTube video! It was so much fun to try making these bagels and taste testing them for the first time. I was definitely impressed by my first bite.
The story behind finding this recipe
So, I don’t know about you, but I’ve been scrolling on Instagram a lot lately, and I love looking at recipes on Instagram Reels. I always see cool recipes that I wouldn’t have thought of on my own. The thing is, most of the time I see these recipes and forget about them the minute I close out of the Instagram app – but this bagel recipe was different!
Once I saw this Instagram Reel showing how to make gluten free blueberry bagels I knew I had to try it myself. I hadn’t had a blueberry bagel in over a year because of my gluten intolerance and they’ve been my favorite since I was little. Major shoutout to @thebigleybasics on Instagram for this recipe inspiration!!
I set myself up with all of the ingredients and gave this recipe a shot. I was a little surprised by how thick the dough was at first, because it seemed a little bit too dry. That’s when I started to improvise and add my own twist to this recipe. I even used an unexpected ingredient that this recipe didn’t call for. Let me tell you the story of making them for the first time.
Making the gluten free bagels for the first time and making my own adjustments
For the FULL STORY on making these for the first time you have to watch my YouTube video, but let me fill you in so you know how I created my own twist on this recipe.
It all started with a ripe banana. I had one sitting around and I thought at first, maybe I’ll make one blueberry bagel and one banana bagel. As I was mixing the dough, I realized two things:
- I realized that the dough looked really dry. I’m not sure if this is because I used Greek yogurt instead of normal yogurt, but it was lacking some moisture it needed to soak up all of the flour.
- I saw how little dough there was. Upon taking another look at the recipe, I realized that it was a recipe that yields ONE BAGEL, which felt like a lot of work to do for just one bagel.
Based on these two realizations, I decided to take the recipe into my own hands and get creative. I mashed up half of the ripe banana I had and added that in, and I added a little extra yogurt and flour so that I had enough dough for two bagels.
When I wrote up my own recipe to use in the future and to share with you, I doubled all of my measurements so that my recipe yields 4 bagels. It kind of still depends on how large you want them to be, but that’s about how many my recipe will make. I feel like when you put work into baking something, it’s nice to have a little extra to share with someone else or to save for the next day or two.
Okay, it’s finally time to share the recipe I made with you!!! Again, this is totally inspired by the one I found on Instagram, with my own twist (and a higher bagel yield).
Here’s the recipe:
Ingredients for gluten free blueberry bagels (no yeast)
- 2 cups of gluten free flour (I used cup 4 cup in this video but also love King Arthur Baking GF flour) note for non gf people: of course if you want to use regular flour instead you can! same measurements 🙂
- 1-2 TBS maple syrup
- 3/4 cup of yogurt or 1 full cup of greek yogurt
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- big pinch of salt (about 1/4 tsp)
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup of blueberries (I used frozen, if you are using fresh use 1/4 cup to accommodate the moisture added)
Instructions for making the bagels
- preheat oven to 350º
- line a baking sheet with foil and butter it (you could also use parchment paper)
- mix all of the baking ingredients together (mash banana before adding it for easier mixing)
- if the dough is too sticky to roll into a log (which will become your bagel) then add more flour. if it’s too dry, add more yogurt.
- use your hands to take 1/4 of the dough and roll it into a log, then turn the ends together and pinch them together to make a bagel
- place your bagel on the buttered baking sheet
- repeat this process with the rest of your dough!
- once all of your bagels are formed, brush melted butter on the top before placing them in the oven – this gives them a crusty and crispier outside
- Bake bagels for 30 min
These gluten free blueberry bagels are so easy to make and such a delicious treat. I had a lot of fun making these no yeast bagels for the first time at home, and I hope you try making them too!
Be sure to tag me @garlandcollections on Instagram if you try baking these at home. I hope that you love them!
Something that I thought was so cool about this recipe is that it could be modified in so many different ways to make different bagel flavors. You could take out the blueberries and make BANANA bagels, you could take out all of the fruit and make plain bagels, the options are endless. And if you have Everything Bagel seasoning, you could even top it with that.
This post was all about gluten free blueberry bagels.
Check out the YouTube video where I make these for the first time!! It’s a lot of fun.
Alright, that’s it from me (for now)! 🤗
get the cutest art prints for your bedroom walls! ⬇️
Need some new bedding to keep things fresh?
Learn how to make a gallery wall at home (simple and easy method that you can use in your bedroom!) 👇
Thanks so much for reading! I appreciate you very much 🙂
For Garland Collections video content, make sure you check out the Garland Collections YouTube channel.
I hope that you enjoyed! Thank you so much for being a part of the Garland community.